China 1987 10 yuan KM-169
This specimen was lot 32632 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $1,080. The catalog description noted, "People's Republic Proof 10 Yuan 1987 PR69 Ultra Cameo NGC. Lunar series and year of the rabbit. Mintage of 14,000 pieces in Proof. A nearly perfect example." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. In addition to the well known series of panda coins in silver, gold and platinum, the regime has also marketed a series based on the Chinese zodiac. This one honors the Year of the Rabbit. The accompanying fifty yuan (KM 170) was 5 oz of silver. The Lunar series were struck to this standard 1983-91 along with a concurrent series of one ounce silver ten yuan struck 1988-2000.
Recorded mintage: 14,000.
Specification: 15 g, .900 fine silver, .431 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 169.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- 1986 10 yuan, Year of the Tiger
- 1986 5 yuan, World Wildlife Fund
- China 1986 100 yuan KM-135 1 oz gold panda
- China 1987-P 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1987 10 yuan, silver panda
- 1987-Y 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- 1987-S 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-S 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda, Shanghai mint
- 1987-Y 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- 1987 50 yuan, silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987 100 yuan, 125th birthday of Zhan Tianyou
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz platinum panda
- 1987 500 yuan, 5 oz gold panda
- 1987 1000 yuan, 12 oz gold panda
- 1988 150 yuan, Year of the Dragon
- Coins and currency dated 1987
- return to coins of China