China 1987-Y 50 yuan KM-162
This specimen was lot 1708 in Goldberg sale 112 (Los Angeles, September 2019), where it sold for $780. The catalog description noted, "China. 50 Yuan, 1987 (Y). Panda drinking water. NGC graded MS-67." Both Shanghai and Shanyang produced this date; this is a Shanyang product. The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. The first gold panda was issued in 1983 and quickly became an annual release. The 1987 issue was the first that weighed a full troy ounce.
Recorded mintage: 97,076 (s + y) plus 10,000 proofs.
Specification: 15.55 g, .999 fine gold, .4995 ounce AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 162 (formerly KM Y127).
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 112: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.
- China 1987-P 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1987 10 yuan, silver panda
- 1987-Y 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 10 yuan, silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-S 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987 50 yuan, silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-S 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda, Shanghai mint
- 1987 100 yuan, 125th birthday of Zhan Tianyou
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz platinum panda
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987 500 yuan, 5 oz gold panda
- 1987 1000 yuan, 12 oz gold panda
- Coins and currency dated 1987