China 1987-Y 25 yuan KM-161
This specimen was lot 1959 in Goldberg sale 110 (Los Angeles, June 2019), where it sold for $600. The catalog description noted, "China. 25 Yuan, 1987 (y). Panda drinking. Choice Brilliant Uncirculated." Both Shanghai and Shanyang produced this date; this is a Shanyang product. The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. The first gold panda was issued in 1983 and quickly became an annual release. The 1987 issue was the first that weighed a full troy ounce.
Recorded mintage: 97,358 plus 10,000 proofs.
Specification: 7.78 g, .999 fine gold, .250 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM-161.
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 110: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2019.
- China 1987-P 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1987 10 yuan, 1 oz silver panda
- 1987-Y 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- China 1987 10 yuan KM-169 silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-S 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-S 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda, Shanghai mint
- 1987-Y 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- China 1987 50 yuan KM-170 silver Year of the Rabbit
- China 1987 100 yuan KM-177 125th birthday of Zhan Tianyou
- 1987-Y 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz platinum panda
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987 500 yuan, 5 oz gold panda
- 1987 1000 yuan, 12 oz gold panda
- Coins and currency dated 1987