China 1985 10 yuan KM-119
The first specimen was lot 3888 in Goldberg sale 90 (Los Angeles, January 2016), where it sold for $235. The catalog description noted, "China. 10 Yuan, 1985. Lunar series. Year of the Ox. Gem Brilliant Proof." The second specimen was lot 72080 in Stack's Bowers Collectors Choice Online Auction (Santa Ana, CA, May 2017), where it sold for $188. The catalog description noted, "CHINA. 10 Yuan, 1985. PCGS PROOF-68 DEEP CAMEO. Year of the Ox. No spots, tone, or fog." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. In addition to the well known series of panda coins in silver, gold and platinum, the regime has also marketed a series based on the Chinese zodiac. This one honors the Year of the Ox.
Recorded mintage: 22,000.
Specification: 15 g, .900 fine silver, .431 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-119 (formerly KM Y78).
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 90: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.
- Ponterio, Rick, et al., The May 2017 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- 1980 yuan, Winter Olympics biathlon
- 1985 10 yuan, silver panda
- 1985 10 yuan, 20th anniversary of Tibet Autonomous Region
- 1985 10 yuan, 30th anniversary of Sinkiang
- 1985 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1985 50 yuan, gold half panda
- China 1985 100 yuan KM-125 Confucius
- 1985 100 yuan, gold panda
- 1986 10 yuan, Year of the Tiger
- Coins and currency dated 1985
- return to coins of China