Chile 1796-So DA 8 reales
This specimen was lot 23806 in Heritage sale 3015 (Long Beach, September 2011), where it did not sell.The catalog description noted,
"Carlos IIII 8 Reales 1796-DA CRAROLUS Error, XF Details NGC Tarapaca Collection (obv scratched), nicely toned and original, the scratch is very light and barely noticeable. Extremely rare diecutter's error with the C of the King's name punched over an R. A nice example of this interesting over-punching. From The Tarapaca Collection of Chilean Coins."The "C/R" error is listed in the SCWC as very rare.
Despite what seems to be a fairly substantial recorded mintage and nearly continuous production during 1791-1808, Santiago portrait eight reales of Charles IV are scarce though not rare like the earlier bust eight reales of Charles III. Many can be found as the undertype of Brazilian 960 réis of 1810-26. Assayer DA is recorded for 1773-99.
Recorded mintage: 206,000.
Specification: 27.07 g, .896 fine silver, .780 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 51.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.