Chile 1791-So DA 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 30596 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $1,468.75. The catalog description noted, "Charles IV gold 4 Escudos 1791 So-DA XF40 NGC, Santiago mint. A rare transitional issue with an obverse legend that reads 'CAROL.IIII' instead of the more common CAROL IV. As the grade indicates, moderate wear is distributed rather evenly across the obverse portrait while the reverse coat-of-arms motif and peripheral legends retain most of their strike. The minimally-abraded fields align within the designation and do little to degrade the eye-appeal of this selection. Few records of this singular type have surfaced in the last decade, and as such, this example is sure to excite." An 1791/0 overdate is reported.
Recorded mintage: 4,879 (including KM 41.1).
Specification: 13.54 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-14332, Fr-23a, KM 41.2.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.