Chile 1768-So A 8 reales
The first specimen was lot 987 in Goldberg sale 46 (Beverly Hills, May 2008), where it sold for $39,000.The catalog description noted,
"Chile. 8 Reales, 1768 So-A (Santiago). Charles III, 1759-1788. Pillar coinage. Crowned Bourbon arms. Reverse: Crowned globes flanked by crowned and bannered pillars, over water. Bold, even strike, with excellent detail at globes and shield. Choice original surfaces, with residual luster, under medium gray toning. Extremely Rare. One the finest known. NGC graded EF-45. Provenance: Ex Calbeto Collection. Another example, in VF-EF, appeared in the Ponterio Amat Sale in March 1991, where it realized $27,500."The second specimen was lot 23792 in Heritage sale 3015 (Long Beach, September 2011), where it sold for $34,500. The catalog description noted,
"SUPERIOR PILLAR DOLLAR FROM CHILE Carlos III Pillar 8 Reales 1768-A, XF45 NGC Tarapaca Collection, superb cabinet patina with boldly struck details and excellent eye appeal. The Pillar Dollars of Santiago are among the rarest and most sought after crowns of Latin America, and this example sports a long and impressive pedigree including: Ex: Superior 1975 Lot 1781, Calbeto plate coin and Elizondo plate coin. A centerpiece to any collection of Chile, Latin America or world crowns. From The Tarapaca Collection of Chilean Coins."All Santiago pillar dollars are rare.
Gilboy lists examples for 1751, 1753-58, 1760, 1763-65 and 1767-70 with the years 1758 and 1768 being the least rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine silver, .798 troy oz ASW; this specimen: 26.75 grams.
Catalog reference: Eliz-15; WR-2; KM 18, Gilboy SC-8-14.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala, Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints, 1752-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2018.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.