Chile 1768-So A 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 20269 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Chicago, August 2019), where it sold for $1,440. The catalog description noted, "CHILE. 8 Escudos, 1768-So A. Santiago Mint. Charles III. NGC AU Details--Rim Filing. Inverted 'A'. 'Rat-nose' type. Second finest certified at NGC. Good strike with considerable remaining mint luster and quite good looking despite the 'DETAILS' designation." This type was issued 1764-72 and is rare. The inverted "A" is noted for 1767-68. With the exception of a hoard of 1750-51 four and eight escudos found some years ago, Chilean coinage is rare prior to the 1770's.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12798, Fr-11; KM-25.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The August 2019 Chicago ANA Auction: World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.