Chile 1758-So J 2 escudos
This type was struck 1758 only at Santiago and is very rare as noted below. This specimen was lot 90 in Sedwick sale 9 (Winter Park, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $25,300.The catalog description noted,
"Santiago, Chile, bust 2 escudos, Ferdinand VI, 1758J, extremely rare. Slightly off-center XF with rich old toning and no problems. The two rarest type-coins of colonial Chile (gold OR silver) are the 2E and 1E minted between 1754 and 1756. The present 2E 1758 was among only 443 struck, of which only 3 are known to still exist: (1) The Emilio Hagnauer specimen, a bent and holed Good, which went through the hands of Rafael Gonzalez (and plated in his 1908 book Coleccion de Monedas de Chile), Honorio Aguirre (1961) and the Norweb family (sold in the Spink America sale of March 3-4, 1997), also the KM plate coin; (2) The Medina plate coin (in his 1919 books Manual Illustrado de Numismatica Chilena: La Colonia and Las Monedas Coloniales Hispanoamericanas), now permanently ensconced in the collection of the Banco de Chile; and (3) The Segarra specimen, offered in the Superior auction of December 1-2, 1990 (lot #38, estimated then at $35,000-up) and now available here. In effect this is the only collectible specimen, as #1 is low quality and #2 is off the market. For more information, see Carlos Jara's Las Primeras Acunaciones de la Casa de Moneda de Santiago de Chile (2007), pp. 102-3."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.7 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10776, KM-11; CT-192.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sedwick, Daniel F., Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction #9, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC, 2011.