Chile 1755-So J 8 reales
"CHILE. 8 Reales, 1755/1 J. Santiago. EXTREMELY RARE Santiago Chile 8 Reales of Ferdinand VI. Key to assembling a type set of Spanish colonial 'Pillar Dollars' [of] Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). Recorded mintage of only 17,419 pieces, all of which were struck August 18, 1755, f[ro]m a single shipment of silver. Carlos Jara's reference Las Primeras Acunaciones de la Casa de Moneda de Santiago de Chile well documents the known examples of this series. The author knew of only three confirmed examples of this date, which included this specimen. Since the publication of Jara's work a fourth example was recently discovered in Europe, having been deposited for safe keeping in a bank vault during World War II. All known examples of this date are overdates, struck from the same die pairing. Although some references suggest the overdate is 1755/4, under high magnification it can clearly be seen as 1755/1. The existence of two examples dated 1751 would support this as there are no know Santiago Pillar Dollars dated 1754. EXTREMELY RARE and one of the most sought after Latin American crowns issued under Spanish rule, and key to assembling a type set of Spanish colonial Pillar Dollars. Nice strike with good details on both pillars showing full 'PLUS ULTRA' and well defined globes. Minimal wear visible on the high points and a few light surface marks, otherwise lustrous and very nice for this issue. NGC AU-55."
All Santiago pillar dollars are rare. Gilboy lists examples for 1751, 1753-58, 1760, 1763-65 and 1767-70 with the years 1758 and 1768 being the least rare. Tho the Ponterio catalog does not so state, we consider it probable that it is the same specimen as that offered previously by Goldberg.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine silver, .798 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10608, KM-5 (RARE); FC-3b(rarity 8); EL-Type-1 #4; Gil-SC-8-4a(Rarity 5); Jara Luedeking-CJ E-1755(RRR).
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala, Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints, 1752-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2018.
- Ponterio, Rick, et al., Ponterio sale 161: The Chicago ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's-Bowers, LLC, 2011.