Brunswick-Luneburg-Celle 1664-LW 2 thaler Dav-LS189
This specimen was lot 23860 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $4,112.50. The catalog description noted, "Brunswick-Luneburg-Celle. Christian Ludwig Broad 2 Taler 1664-LW, AU50 NGC jumbo holder, aged gray patina with bold details featuring a prancing horse above an intricate mining scene. The denomination (2) is punched into the reverse design at 6 o'clock. Elusive in this pleasing quality." This type depicting the leaping stallion is recorded for 1657-64 in numerous varieties and the single thaler is among the common types of the period. A similar three thaler (Dav-LS181) was issued in 1664; it is also rare. See also a 1½ thaler (Dav-LS190) and quadruple thaler (Dav-LS187). The Duchy of Brunswick was divided and subdivided in the seventeenth century but was eventually reassembled as the Kingdom of Hannover before being absorbed into Prussia in 1866.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Dav-LS189, KM 252.5.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- 1662 double thaler
- 1663 thaler
- 1663 3 thaler
- Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg 1664-HS thaler Dav-6529
- 1664-LW 1½ thaler
- 1664-LW triple thaler
- 1664-LW quadruple thaler
- Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg 1681-RB 2 thaler Dav-LS239
- Coins and currency dated 1664
- return to coins of German States, Brunswick-Luneburg