Breslau 1674-SHS 1/6 ducat Fr-296
"Leopold I. 1657-1705 1/6 Dukat 1674. Breslau. Selten in dieser Erhaltung. FDC. Kleiner Schrötlingsfehler. (Holy Roman Empire, Leopold I, 1657-1705, sixth ducat of 1674, Breslau mint. Rare in this condition. Uncirculated. Minor planchet defect.)"The second specimen was lot 20166 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $1,800. The catalog description noted, "AUSTRIA. 1/6 Ducat, 1674-SHS. Breslau Mint. Leopold I (1657-1705). NGC MS-65. Flashy in the fields with fully struck, boldly detailed designs on both sides. Truly a piece in an exemplary state of preservation." This type was struck for Silesia 1669-82, all with mintmaster SHS. The Breslau mint also produced 1/12, 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 ducats.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 0.58 g, .986 fine gold, this specimen 0.57 g.
Catalog reference: F.u.S. 483. Fr-296; KM-492 (under Silesia).
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.