Brazil 1883 10000 reis
This date, one of a series struck 1853-89, is among the moderately priced gold coins of the Empire of Brazil. This specimen was lot 12077 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $1,762. The catalog description noted, "BRAZIL. 10,000 Reis, 1883. NGC MS-65. Mintage of only 10,024 pieces. Sharply struck and frosty."
Recorded mintage: 10,024.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine gold, .264 troy oz.
Catalog reference: Fr-122; KM-467; LDMB-666.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.