Brazil 1876 10000 reis
This specimen was lot 30473 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $480. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II gold 10000 Reis 1876 AU58 NGC, Rio de Janeiro mint. With just a hint of light wear, this charming piece still retains a good deal of luster and only some minor marks. From the Ipanema Collection." This type was struck 1853-67, 1871-89.
Recorded mintage: 20,000, a common date.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine gold, .264 troy oz.
Catalog reference: KM 467, Fr-122, LMB-O660.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.