Brazil 1867 10000 reis
This date, one of a series struck 1853-89, is among the moderately priced gold coins of the Empire of Brazil. This specimen was lot 23121 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II gold 10000 Reis 1867, MS62 NGC. A premium example for grade with effulgent surfaces and no distracting marks."
Recorded mintage: unknown but common.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine gold, .264 troy oz.
Catalog reference: Russo-654, KM 467.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.