Brazil 1863 2000 reis
This specimen was lot 22096 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $940. The catalog description noted, "BRAZIL. 2,000 Reis, 1863. NGC MS-66. Beautifully toned." This silver 2000 réis was minted 1853-67 in Rio de Janeiro. The series came accompanied by 200, 500 and 1000 réis in silver. The 2000 réis was roughly the same weight as the preceding 960 réis of 1810-33 and 1200 réis of 1834-47. It was superseded by the portrait type of 1868-89. This is the last common date.
Recorded mintage: unknown but common.
Specification: 25.5 g, .917 fine silver, .751 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-466.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.