Brazil 1857 2000 reis
This specimen was lot 1551 in Stephen Album sale 32 (Santa Rosa, CA, September 2018), where it sold for $141. The catalog description noted, "BRAZIL: Pedro II, 1831-1889, AR 2000 reis, 1857, appears to be a rare date in uncirculated condition, NGC graded MS61, R." This silver 2000 réis was minted 1853-67 in Rio de Janeiro. The series came accompanied by 200, 500 and 1000 réis in silver. The 2000 réis was roughly the same weight as the preceding 960 réis of 1810-33 and 1200 réis of 1834-47. It was superseded by the portrait type of 1868-89.
Recorded mintage: 105,000 (a common date).
Specification: 25.5 g, .917 fine silver, .751 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-466.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Album, Stephen, Joseph Lang, Paul Montz, Michael Barry and Norman Douglas Nicol, Auction 32, featuring the Don Erickson Collection of German Coins, Part II and the Hazerfans Collection of Ottoman Empire Coins, Santa Rosa, CA: Stephen Album Rare Coins, Inc., 2018.