Brazil 1855 2000 reis
This specimen was lot 1336 in Sedwick sale 12 (Winter Park, FL, October 2012), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Brazil, 2000 reis, Pedro II, 1855. UNC with bagmarks, lustrous and lightly rainbow-toned, good strike." This silver 2000 réis was minted 1853-67 in Rio de Janeiro. The series came accompanied by 200, 500 and 1000 réis in silver. The 2000 réis was roughly the same weight as the preceding 960 réis of 1810-33 and 1200 réis of 1834-47. It was superseded by the portrait type of 1868-89.
Recorded mintage: 300,000 (a common date).
Specification: 25.5 g, .917 fine silver, .751 troy oz ASW, this specimen 25.4 grams.
Catalog reference: KM-466.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Sedwick, Daniel F., Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction #12, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC, 2012.