Brazil 1851 20000 reis KM-463
This specimen was lot 1283 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $517.50. The catalog description noted, "1851 20,000 reis. AU-58 (NGC). Bearded young head of Pedro II to left, legends and date around/crowned arms. Lustrous medium gold, light hairlines. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." This date, the first of a series struck 1851-52, superseded the ruffed bust of 1849-51 (KM 461) and in turn was replaced by the fully bearded type of 1853-89 (KM 468).
Recorded mintage: 303,000 (including KM 461).
Specification: 17.93 g, .917 fine gold, .528 troy oz; this specimen: 17.84 grams, 30.20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 463, Fr-121.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.