Brazil 1850 10000 reis
This specimen was lot 1281 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $575. The catalog description noted, "1850 10,000 reis. AU-55 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous medium gold with deeper highlights. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." This date, the second of a series struck 1849-51, is among the first moderately priced gold coins of the Empire.
Recorded mintage: 7,359.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine gold, .264 troy oz; this specimen: 8.93 grams, 25.70 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 460, Fr-120.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.