Brazil 1848 10000 reis
This specimen was lot 23283 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $18,800. The catalog description noted, "Pedro II gold 10000 Reis 1848, XF, cleaned with a few tiny surface digs, scarcer date with a mintage of 4567." This type was struck 1841-48 and tho denominated 10,000 réis, was the same size and weight as the colonial 6400 réis. In 1849, the 10000 réis was lowered to 8.96 g, where it remained until 1922. It is likely that the 1840's issues were melted down to strike the lighter coins as this type is now very rare.
Recorded mintage: 4,567.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .422 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 457.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.