Brazil 1847 20000 reis
This specimen was lot 555 in Ponterio sale 145 (New York, January 2008). This type is a pattern struck in preparation of the issue of 10000 and 20000 réis in 1849. In the event, an older, ruffed bust of Pedro II was adopted for the production coinage.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM unlisted, Friedberg unlisted.
- Bruce, Colin R. and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kent Ponterio, Stewart Westdal and Ken Spindler, Ponterio sale 145: the N.Y.I.N.C. '08 sale featuring the Leslie Hannula Collection, San Diego, CA: Ponterio & Associates, 2007.