Brazil 1835 10000 reis
This specimen was lot 1274 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $1265. The catalog description noted, "1835 10,000 reis. AU-58 (NGC). Types as above. Lustrous yellow gold with somewhat reflective surfaces, good eye appeal, light scrape in lower right obverse. Purchased from Walter F. Webb, March 15, 1943." This type was struck 1833-40 and tho denominated 10,000 réis, was the same size and weight as the previous 6400 réis. In 1849, the 10000 réis was lowered to 8.96 g, where it remained until 1922.
Recorded mintage: 13,000 (most common date).
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .422 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 14.34 grams, 28.00 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 451, Fr-117.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.