Brazil 1822-B 960 reis
This silver 960 réis was minted at the Bahia mint 1819-22. These coins were usually struck over Spanish-American dollars but many other undertypes are known. Large quantities were produced, making this and the similar Rio issue the commonest Brazilian silver coin of the colonial period. The specimen was lot 20505 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $14,950. The catalog description noted, "João VI 960 Reis 1822B, XF40 NGC. Pleasant fields and visible host 8 Reales for this key date/mint mark of 960 Reis issue. Missing from almost all collections."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 26.89 g, .896 fine silver, .775 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 326.2, Russo 464.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.