Brazil 1821-B 160 reis
This specimen was part of lot 23306 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,410. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Brazil 160 Reis, a very nice selection by date from 1695 to 1821. Grades range from VG to XF but are mainly in the Fine to VF category. A most unusual opportunity to acquire a collection of these fascinating coins at one time." This specimen is a one year type struck at the Bahia mint. Similar silver 160 réis were struck at Rio during 1818-20 (KM 323.1). All are scarce, especially compared to the contemporary copper eighty réis, which was issued in large quantities starting in 1818. The copper eighty réis continued into the reign of Emperor Pedro I (1823-32) but the silver 160 réis is restricted to some very rare issues of 1824, 1826 and 1833.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.45 g, .917 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 323.2.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.