Brazil 1820-R 320 reis
The second specimen was part of lot 23307 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Silver 320 Reis, a very nice selection, primarily in Fine to VF quality. This group covers a wide range of dates, and we definitely suggest careful viewing if you want to be competitive." This type was struck at Rio during 1818-20. All are scarce, especially compared to the contemporary copper eighty réis, which was issued in large quantities starting in 1818.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 324.2.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.