Brazil 1818-M 640 reis
This silver 640 réis was minted at the Minas Gerais mint in 1818 only. These coins would have traded in the 18th century as two-thirds of a Spanish dollar. In 1768 the weight of this denomination was lowered from 19.32 grams to 17.80 grams. Earlier silver 640 réis are known, starting in 1695. Many are priced very low in the SCWC but the silver issues of Minas are rare. The specimen was lot 20523 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $25,300. The catalog description noted, "João VI 640 Reis 1818M, XF45 NGC. Nice old gray patina with hints of red. A very rare type and issue from the Minas Mint at Vila Rica. Very few specimens exist and this is well above average in quality." The similar issues from Rio and Bahia are much more available.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.76 g, .917 fine silver, .523 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 324.1, Russo 482.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.