Brazil 1816-B 640 reis
This specimen was lot 23244 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $44,062.50. The catalog description noted, "An Extremely Elusive 640 Reis João VI Prince Regent 640 Reis 1816-B, AU58 NGC, impeccably sharp design features with aged deep gray patina. Struck over an earlier coin with portions of the host coin visible. This is the first 1816 640 Reis we have seen from the Bahia Mint. Kurt Prober lists it as 'Muito Rara' or 'Very Rare' in his Catalog of Brazilian Coins. Gomes' latest (2006) edition simply says "Rare". In any event, this is perhaps a once in a generation opportunity to obtain one of the rarest silver issues of colonial Brazil. From The Santana Collection of 640 Reis." This type was struck 1809-12 at Rio (KM 256.2, common), 1809-10 and 1816 at Bahia (KM 256.1) and 1810-16 at Minas Gerais (KM 256.3, very scarce).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.92 g, .917 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 256.1.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.