Brazil 1816-B 320 reis
This silver 320 réis was minted at the Bahia mint in 1810 and 1816. This coin would have traded in the 18th century as one-third of a Spanish dollar. The 320 réis is half the size of the more common 640 réis. In 1768 the weight of this denomination was lowered from 9.66 grams to 8.90 grams. Earlier silver 320 réis are known, starting in 1695. Many are priced very low in the SCWC but this date is rare. The specimen was lot 20467 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $1,150. The catalog description noted, "João Prince Regent 320 Reis 1816B, choice toned XF-AU, superb design features, rare quality for this elusive date."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.96 g, .917 fine silver, .262 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 255.2, Russo 388.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.