Brazil 1810-M 960 reis
This silver 960 réis was minted at the Minas Gerais mint in 1810 and 1816. These coins were usually struck over Spanish-American dollars but many other undertypes are known. Large quantities were produced, but the Minas issues are very rare. The specimen was lot 20492 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $10,350. The catalog description noted, "João VI 960 Reis 1810-M, XF40 NGC. Strong and visible 'M'. Struck at the Vila Rica Mint in state of Minas Gerais in 1810 and 1816, 960's with the 'M' mint mark are extremely elusive and rarely offered. Usual oversize die crack present on the obverse. Choice XF specimens of this issue are the top grade available to advanced collectors." The SCWC lists the dates but gives no prices.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 26.89 g, .896 fine silver, .775 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 307.2, Russo 438.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.