Brazil 1800-R 6400 reis
This type was struck between 1789 and 1805 in Rio and features the bust of Maria, queen of Portugal 1786-1816. While the 6400 réis is relatively available, its fractions (3200 réis, 1600 réis and 800 réis) are much scarcer. This type was also struck in Bahia (KM 226.2) during this period. This coin was called the "joe" in English speaking countries. Spanish colonial four escudos of this period were 13.54 g, .875 fine gold, .381 troy oz AGW and traded for nearly the same value.
Recorded mintage: 214,000.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .422 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 226.1, Fr-87.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.