Brazil 1799-B 640 reis
This silver 640 réis was minted at the Bahia mint 1799-1805. These coins would have traded in the 18th century as two-thirds of a Spanish dollar. In 1768 the weight of this denomination was lowered from 19.32 grams to 17.80 grams. Earlier silver 640 réis are known, starting in 1695. Many are priced very low in the SCWC but remain very hard to find. The specimen was lot 20457 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $4,887.50. The catalog description noted, "João 640 Reis 1799B 'SVBQ', pleasant XF with appealing old and original patina. With 'SVBQ' in the reverse's legend instead of 'SUBQ'. A rarely found variety." The SCWC lists the date as common for KM 231.2 (with "SUBQ"), which was also produced at Rio (KM 222.2).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.76 g, .917 fine silver, .523 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 231.1, Russo 369A.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.