Brazil 1796 80 reis
This specimen was part of lot 23305 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,292.50. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Brazil Silver 80 Reis, a most useful group dating from 1696-1818 and including several scarce varieties. Grades are generally F-VF with a few better and a couple with damage." Silver eighty réis as a denomination are rather scarce and tho this date struck in Lisbon is listed as common, it is seldom seen. This type was issued 1787-96. Varieties include low crown (KM 219.1, shown here) and high crown (KM 219.2). It was the first issue since 1790 and the last until 1810. The introduction of the copper eighty réis relieved the need for this denomination.
Recorded mintage: 73,000 (all varieties).
Specification: 2.22 g, .917 fine silver, .065 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 219.1.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.