Brazil 1791-R 640 reis
This silver 640 réis was minted at the Rio mint 1791-1802. These coins would have traded in the 18th century as two-thirds of a Spanish dollar. In 1768 the weight of this denomination was lowered from 19.32 grams to 17.80 grams. Earlier silver 640 réis are known, starting in 1695. Many are priced very low in the SCWC but remain very hard to find. The specimen was lot 20460 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $1,265. The catalog description noted, "Maria I 640 Reis 1791R, nicely toned VF with bold features, small rim nick on the reverse at 7 o'clock. Rare date and the high crown variety." The SCWC lists 1794-R, 1800-R and 1802-R as common for the type, which was also produced at Bahia (KM 231.2).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.76 g, .917 fine silver, .523 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 222.2, Russo 378.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.