Brazil 1790 160 reis
The second specimen was part of lot 23306 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,410. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Brazil 160 Reis, a very nice selection by date from 1695 to 1821. Grades range from VG to XF but are mainly in the Fine to VF category. A most unusual opportunity to acquire a collection of these fascinating coins at one time." Silver 160 réis as a denomination are somewhat scarce and tho this date struck in Lisbon is listed as common, it is seldom seen. The type was issued 1787-97 from Lisbon as would the rest of the 160 réis until 1810. This type comes in "high crown" (KM 220.2) and "low crown" (KM 220.1, shown here) varieties.
Recorded mintage: 62,000.
Specification: 4.45 g, .917 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 220.1.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.