Brazil 1788-R 6400 reis
The first specimen was lot 20348 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $1,265. The catalog description noted, "Maria I gold 6400 Reis 1788R, AU50 NGC, veiled bust, lightly toned, faint hairlines in the obverse fields. From the Recife Collection of 6400 Reis." The second specimen was lot 23687 in Heritage sale 3015 (Long Beach, September 2011), where it sold for $1,495. The catalog description noted, "Maria I gold 6400 Reis 1788R, AU55 NGC, veiled bust, lightly toned and fully original, a bold and attractive coin." This type was struck at Rio and Bahia 1786-90. It is considerably scarcer than the succeeding type (KM 226, struck 1789-1805), which featured the queen in a different headdress.
Recorded mintage: 263,000.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-85, KM 218.1.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3015, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2011.