Brazil 1775 4000 reis
This type was struck between 1751-76 in Lisbon and was called a moeda d'ouro provincial. This coin was called the "moidore" in English speaking countries. Two varieties exist; with the king's name spelled "IOSEPHUS," as shown, or "JOSEPHUS" (KM 171.2). The "IOSEPHUS" is the scarcer. This specimen was lot 23206 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $1,035. The catalog description noted, "Jose I gold 4000 Reis 1775(L), UNC Details NGC (surface hairlines), boldly struck and attractive, very lightly cleaned long ago. Ruler's name reads IOSEPHUS."
Recorded mintage: 56,000 (both varieties).
Specification: 8.07 g, .917 fine gold, .237 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 171.1.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.