Brazil 1772-R 3200 reis
This specimen was lot 31033 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $11,750. The catalog description noted, "Jose I gold 3200 Reis 1772-R XF Details (Damaged) NGC, Rio de Janeiro mint. Two small punch marks to the left of the bust account for the designation, but a well detailed and wholesome example of this rarity with no further impairments and handsome toning. A rare type and date with a mintage of only 1,554 pieces. Of the few confirmed specimens, the cataloger has only noted the ex-Eliasberg and ex-Norweb examples as in noticeably better preservation. As such, an important opportunity for the specialist and one offering that should elicit sustained attention. From The Santa Catarina Collection of Brazilian Gold Coins." This type was struck in Bahia 1752-1777 and in Rio 1755-73 only. Despite the listing of sixteen dates for Bahia and only six for Rio, the SCWC assigns a lower price to the Rio issue. A rare denomination for either mint.
Recorded mintage: 1,554.
Specification: 7.17 g, .917 fine gold, .211 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 183.2, Russo-417.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.