Brazil 1768 80 reis
This specimen was part of lot 23305 in Heritage sale 3020 (Long Beach, September 2012), where it sold for $1,292.50. The catalog description noted, "Collection of Brazil Silver 80 Reis, a most useful group dating from 1696-1818 and including several scarce varieties. Grades are generally F-VF with a few better and a couple with damage." Silver eighty réis as a denomination are rather scarce and tho this date struck in Lisbon is listed as common, it is seldom seen. Two varieties are listed for 1768: with reverse legend "SUBQ" (KM 190.2, shown here) and with reverse legend "SVBQ" (KM 190.1). It is the first eighty réis struck since 1751; the next issue was from Lisbon in 1770.
Recorded mintage: 100,000 (all varieties).
Specification: 2.22 g, .917 fine silver, .065 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 190.2.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cris Bierrenbach, Heritage Signature Auction 3020: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.