Brazil 1764-R 600 reis
This silver 600 réis was minted at the Rio mint for Brazil in 1754-70. This coin would have traded in the 18th century at about one-third of a Spanish dollar. The specimen was lot 20434 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $402.50. The catalog description noted, "Jose I 600 Reis 1764R, toned AVF, minor scratches." This type is scarce; the contemporary Bahia issue of 1752-68 (KM 179) is much rarer.The catalog commented on the "J-series" as follows:
"During the reign of José I (1750-1777), with gold flowing out of the mines in the province of Minas Gerais, coins of the so-called 'J series' were struck at the Rio (R) and Bahia (B) mints for circulation in Minas. The purpose of these coins, with odd denominations of 75, 150, 300 and 600 Réis, was to facilitate the gold trade in the province. Gold value was determined in multiples of 150 Réis and corresponded to 4.5 grains (75 Réis), 9 grains (150 Réis), 18 grains (300 réis) and so on. Towards the end of the 18th century, as gold in the Minas mines diminished, the coins of the J-series were countermarked with a 'mini-shield' elevating its value to the standard 80, 160, 320, 640 Réis. Subsequently, in the first decades of the 19th century, the coins of the J series were restruck all together. Coins of this type are some of the most charismatic and challenging series in the vast realm of Brazilian numismatics, and finding a coin in higher than VF condition is extremely difficult."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 18.11 g, .917 fine silver, .534 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 187, Russo 278.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.