Brazil 1757-B 640 reis
This silver 640 réis was minted at the Bahia mint during 1757-58. This coin would have traded in the 18th century as two-thirds of a Spanish dollar. The 320 réis is half the size of the more common 640 réis. In 1768 the weight of this denomination was lowered from 19.32 grams to 17.80 grams. Earlier silver 640 réis are known, starting in 1695. Many are priced very low in the SCWC but remain very hard to find. The specimen was lot 20391 in Heritage sale 3009 (Chicago, April 2010), where it sold for $333.50. The catalog description noted, "Jose I 640 Reis 1757B, nicely toned F-VF, few superficial scratches and a natural flan flaw on the reverse rim at 1 o'clock." The similar KM 170.1 and 170.2 were struck 1751-58 and are more available tho not common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 19.32 g, .917 fine silver, .569 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 170.3, Russo 189.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3009: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.