Brazil 1756-B 600 reis
This silver 600 réis was minted at the Bahia mint for Brazil in 1752-60. This coin would have traded in the 18th century at about one-third of a Spanish dollar. It was lot 23195 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $1,380. The catalog description noted, "Jose I 600 Reis 1756-B, VF-XF with sharply struck details and light gray surfaces. There are some minor scratches in the obverse fields and within the reverse legends, but these do not detract from the overall attractiveness of this example. From The Guariba Collection of Brazilian Coins." This type is rare; the contemporary Rio issue of 1754-70 (KM 187) is more available.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 18.11 g, .917 fine silver, .534 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 179.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.