Brazil 1756-B 300 reis
This silver 300 réis was minted at the Bahia mint for Brazil in 1752-60. This coin would have traded in the 18th century at about one-sixth of a Spanish dollar. It was lot 23185 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $1,265. The catalog description noted, "Jose I 300 Reis 1756-B, lightly toned VF with evenly worn details and a bold B mintmark, minor scratches around the SVBQ and in the obverse fields. Superior quality for this type. From The Guariba Collection of Brazilian Coins." This type is rare; the contemporary Rio issue of 1754-64 (KM 186) is more available.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 9.06 g, .917 fine silver, .267 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 178.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.