Brazil 1750-B 800 reis
This type was struck between 1727-50 in Bahia and features the bust of João V, king of Portugal 1706-50. While the 6400 réis is relatively available, its fractions (3200 réis, 1600 réis and 800 réis) are much scarcer. This type was also struck in Rio (KM 153) during this period. This specimen was lot 23161 in Heritage sale 3012 (New York, January 2011), where it sold for $8,625. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 800 Reis 1750B, lustrous XF, somewhat crudely struck, rare little type as are all fractional gold denominations from the Bahia Mint for this reign."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.79 g, .917 fine gold, .052 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 123.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Tucker, Warren, and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3012: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.