Brazil 1750-B 3200 reis
This specimen was lot 31018 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "One of the Finest of the Date. João V gold 3200 Reis (Meia Peça) 1750-B XF45 NGC, Bahia mint, Type 4 shield. A handsome coin for the designation, showing only delicate friction on the highest points, with appealing and partially lustrous surfaces that display fewer than the expected handling marks at this level. Also, rather sharply struck. As noted in the description of the previous lot, all Meia Peças of João V struck at Bahia are great rarities. The ones showing the Type 4 shield are no exception: struck in obviously limited numbers, only 7 dates between 1727 and 1750 (the last date issued, such as the present coin) have been confirmed. Offerings of this subtype are few and far between with the average noted grade being F-VF. Showing great eye-appeal and among the four or five finer encountered by the cataloger in terms of their technical grade, the present example must thus be ranked as a truly outstanding representative of this elusive issue. Naturally, it is also rare as a date (as are in fact all dates of this type) with 5 or 6 confirmed examples, this being - narrowly - the second finest: the finer was graded AU50 by NGC, appears essentially equivalent in overall eye-appeal and hammered at $42,500 in a 2013 auction (Sedwick 10/2013, lot 100). We expect strong attention from the specialists of the Brazilian Colonial series, who will undoubtedly recognize the significance of the present offering. From The Santa Catarina Collection of Brazilian Gold Coins."</blockquote> This type was struck at the Minas Gerais mint 1727-33 and at Bahia 1727-50 and at Rio 1727-49.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 7.17 g, .917 fine gold, .211 oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 133, Russo-132, Gomes-123.11, Bentes-121.07, Prober-O411 ('2 known').
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.