Brazil 1747-B 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 29381 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 6400 Reis 1747-B AU55 NGC, Bahia mint. A coin seldom offered, especially in this select designation, displaying vibrant, honey-gold surfaces and minimal wear that mainly affects the higher points. Despite light handling and some softness to the strike, this is a wonderful representative from the Bahia mint, truly worthy of a premium bid." This type was struck 1731-50 and is among the more available colonial gold coins of Brazil tho the early dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 151, Fr-51.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.