Brazil 1744-B 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 29375 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $1,175. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 6400 Reis 1744-B AU Details (Surfaces Hairlines) NGC, Bahia mint, From the elusive Bahia mint, this selection displays faint surface hairlines and minor adjustment marks through the bust. Some weakness in the reverse strike is also noted, but is not wholly distracting to the visual appeal of this offering." This type was struck 1731-50 and is among the more available colonial gold coins of Brazil tho the early dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 151, Fr-51.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.