Brazil 1735-R 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 29395 in Heritage sale 3040 (Chicago, April 2015), where it sold for $6,000. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 6400 Reis 1735/4-R MS62 NGC, Rio de Janeiro mint, . A most attractive example of this rare date, fully lustrous and well struck with light abrasions on the open fields preventing a higher designation. Clearly an overdate, though not identified as such on the insert, which is 1735/4 in the opinion of the cataloguer (other possibilities could be 1735/5 or 1735/3, the latter being the variety listed in Bentes as 114.07). Very rare in this engaging quality and sure to elicit strong attention from the sophisticated collector." This type was struck 1731-50 and is among the more available colonial gold coins of Brazil tho the early dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM149, Russo-210.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage Signature Auction 3040, featuring the Santa Maria, the Alan Dean and the Valley View Life Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.