Brazil 1734-R 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 20233 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "BRAZIL. 6,400 Reis, 1734-R. Rio de Janeiro Mint. Joao V (1706-50). PCGS Genuine--Cleaned, AU Details Secure Holder. EXTREMELY RARE as a date and missing from the majority of advanced collections of Brazilian coins. One of only two examples certified, this example displays quite nicely despite a light past cleaning, with detail that is on the cusp of complete over both sides and fields that retain significant amounts of original luster, particularly around the obverse legends and throughout the reverse. Relatively few instances of contact further contribute to the rather wholesome overall appearance. Considering this piece's incredible rarity, a coin that will undoubtedly elevate the status of any collection it enters." This type was struck 1731-50 and is among the more available colonial gold coins of Brazil tho the early dates (especially the ones from Minas Gerais) are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-46; KM-149; LDMB-O209.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.