Brazil 1734-M 800 reis
This type was struck in Minas Gerais 1727-34 and in Rio in 1727-30 and in Bahia 1727-50. Despite the three active mints and the many dates in the catalog, this type is very seldom seen. The first specimen shown was lot 515 in Ponterio sale 148 and was described as an unlisted overdate, 1734/3. The second specimen was lot 23269 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $6,462.50. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 800 Reis 1734-M, MS61 NGC, Undetermined overdate. Incredibly a second mint state 800 Reis of João V! Wide planchet with sharp rims. Appealing bust. Adjustment marks on the reverse. Quite a condition rarity! From The RLM Collection."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.79 g, .917 fine gold, .053 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 120, Russo-263, Gomes-type of 114.
- Amato, Claudio, Irlei S. Neves and Arnaldo Russo, Livro das Moedas do Brasil, 12a ed. Sao Paulo, 2008.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Pimentel, Alvaro Mendes, Catálogo de Moedas Brasileiras de 1643 a 1962, 9a Ed., Rio de Janeiro, 1962.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.